- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups red beans (well soaked, or canned and drained)
- 2 cups black beans (well soaked, or canned and drained)
- 1 cup Mrs. Renfro’s Red Salsa (mild, medium, hot)
- 3/4 cup water, more or less may be needed
- 1 tsp. brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- Sour cream, optional
- In large skillet, sauté onion, garlic, zucchini, and peppers until onions are soft.
- Add corn, beans, salsa, water, mustard, pepper, cumin, and salt.
- While stirring, bring to soft boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle stew over rice.
- Top with sour cream and more salsa, if desired.
Recipe by N. Schauer, WI