Get the scoop on what's hot.
Want to know what's new with Mrs. Renfro's, or what's news with us? You've come to the right place. Check out the latest press releases, newspaper and magazine articles.
Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper BBQ Empanadas
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 C frozen peas
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/4 C Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper BBQ Sauce (mix with Mrs. Renfro's Classic BBQ to temper the heat)
- 1 T vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together the flour and salt
- Place the butter in the container of a food processor
- Sprinkle flour mixture on top of butter
- Pulse until the butter is reduced to the size of peas, about 10 seconds
- Add egg, pulse for about 15 seconds
- Add milk. Pulse about another 15 seconds or until a nice, smooth dough forms
- Divide the ball into three pieces. Roll out one ball so that it's about 1/8 of an inch thick
- Using a 4.5" biscuit cutter, stamp out discs of dough. Repeat with the other three balls of dough
- Mix the scraps and roll them out to stamp more discs
- Makes about two dozen discs of dough.
- In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat, carefully breaking up big pieces. Drain, place in bowl and set aside
- In the same skillet, add oil and sauté onion until it's soft and translucent, about five minutes
- Add potato and sauté until fully cooked, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick to the pan
- Combine meat, potato mixture and peas.
- Add Mrs. Renfro's BBQ Sauce and stir.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 T of the meat mixture onto the center of a pastry disc. Brush edge of pastry disc with water. Fold over and press the edges with the tines of a fork. Repeat for remaining pastry discs.
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or the pastry is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Rachel Roszmann