Get the scoop on what's hot.
Want to know what's new with Mrs. Renfro's, or what's news with us? You've come to the right place. Check out the latest press releases, newspaper and magazine articles.
Chef Stefon Rishel's Shrimp and Grits
- 1 lb U/15 shrimp (colossal), peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp Tony Sachere Cajun Seasoning
- 1 C Quaker Quick 5-Minute Grits
- 4 C whole milk
- 1/2-1 C Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa
- 1 C Tasso ham, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 C vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 C white vinegar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 C green onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring medium sized saucepan 2/3 full of water and 1 cup white vinegar to a boil
- Bring milk to simmer on med low heat, add Mrs. Renfro’s Green Salsa, 1 tbsp salt & ½ tbsp pepper to milk
- When milk simmers stir in grits and stir until thickened but loose. Turn off heat
- In large skillet (not nonstick), heat 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté shrimp 3 minutes on each side until opaque in the middle
- Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside
- Add Tasso ham to skillet and sauté until slightly crispy. You will see a lot of sticking to the skillet (that is a good thing)
- Deglaze skillet with 1 cup of vegetable stock, cook until reduced by half
- Add 2 tbsp cold butter and half of green onions to pan and swirl in to emulsify. Add shrimp back to pan and coat with sauce
- Swirl boiling water/vinegar in saucepan in clockwise motion and crack all three eggs into water to poach. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Plate grits in mound on plate or large bowl, top with shrimp and Tasso ham then spoon sauce over top.
- Finish by topping with poached egg and chopped green onions
- Serves 3 (4-5 shrimp each.)