Get the scoop on what's hot.
Want to know what's new with Mrs. Renfro's, or what's news with us? You've come to the right place. Check out the latest press releases, newspaper and magazine articles.
Green Chili Stew with Pork
- 3-4 lbs. boneless pork, trimmed of gristle and cubed into 1" pieces
- 4-6+tbsp. oil (divided)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour, for browning
- 6 tomatillos, de stemmed and chopped (peel off outer skin layer)
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2-3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 7 oz. cans roasted, chopped green chilies
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (fire roasted preferred)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 jar Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno Green Salsa
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large Dutch oven (preferably cast iron).
- Sauté tomatillos until skins are soft and no longer bright green (about 6-10 minutes; set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil to pan.
- While oil is heating, toss pork with salt, pepper and flour.
- In small batches, sauté pork until golden brown on all sides (add more oil if needed).
- Add more oil to pan and sauté celery, carrots and garlic, stirring until soft and cooked through.
- Add green chilies, tomatoes, browned pork, tomatillos and green salsa.
- Add chicken stock so that pan is full of liquid and meat is covered (add chicken stock or water if necessary).
- Stir and heat to a low simmer.
- Cook 2-3 hours until meat is tender.